Friday, July 31, 2009

So I finally made it to DC and I am all settled in. Or at least I think haha! Everytime I think I can sit down and relax I think of something else I have to do. Needless to say I have not even had time to go look around in downtown DC yet except for the time me and my roommate Alison got lost on the freeway and ended up driving past all the major exhibits. Don't ask but somehow we made it out ok!! haha. But for all those who keep asking I will be getting some pictures up of the new apartment soon! :)So I downloaded this new application on ipod that says interesting facts. It's really cool! Well, people are always asking why I choose not to eat chicken or red meat. I don't really like talking about it because it seems to get people all worked up but when I was reading my "facts" I came upon this that I thought was some good supporting evidence as to one of the reasons I choose not to....

"According to a 2006 report by the U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization, the livestock industry is one of the top three contributors to the planets most serious environmental problems. Cows and other livestock (pigs, sheep, goat, chicken) release methane gas when they burp and fart, making them responsible for 18% of the worlds greenhouse gas problem. It's estimated that a single cow can produce 25 to 130 gallons of methane a day! In addition, nearly 30% of the available land on the planet is used for grazing livestock and growing their feed--often @ the expense of forests--and their manure is a major source of water pollution and rain"

Now I'm not saying you shouldn't eat meat because it's obviously a good source of protein but it is just a thought...If everyone started making small changes we could make a huge difference. Refillable water bottles, cotton grocery bags, choosing to walk over driving. I'm going to pledge to cut back significantly on water bottles!! I figure if you drink 2 bottles a day valued at .50 cents a piece, in ten years that would add up to $3650.00!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Linds - I'm so glad to hear that you are getting somewhat settled. What an experience - so awesome. Please be careful!! Maybe try mapquest or something. And, get prepared with your can of mace, or perhaps take a self-defense class. Do I sound over protective?? Love you - Aunt Noellee

    ReplyDelete